I have created .CAB files (cabinet files) using Cabwiz.exe since Windows CE 2.11 for my mobile applications. It worked fine for Windows CE 2.11, PPC2000, PPC2002 and Windows Mobile 2003. But since Windows Mobile 5 (WM5) there exists a little problem with special characters like é (e acute). On WM5 Chinese Pocket PCs the .CAB files may not work entirely!
Using Cabwiz.exe version 220.127.116.1186 and .inf files stored as ANSI because UNICODE is not supported by this Cabwiz version. Everything works perfect except for WM5.
The simple solution
Using Cabwiz.exe version 4.0.4332.0 and .inf files stored as UNICODE because in this Cabwiz version UNICODE is supported!
; 1. é problem
; Cabwiz.exe 18.104.22.16886 –> 4.0.4332.0
; save .inf as Unicode
Signature = "$Windows NT$"
Provider = "Harald-René Flasch"
CESignature = "$Windows CE$"
; 2. solved WM5 warning message that the application was not designed for WM5
AddReg = RegSettings
DefaultDestDir = 0,%InstallDir%
AppName="WM5 Cabinet test"
See also my MSDN thread. I got an answer but not the final solution. So I started investigating the problem and found the solution described in this blog. This .CAB file works for PPC2002, WM2003 and WM2005. It may also works for Windows CE 2.11 and even WM6 (with warning message – see [CEDevice]) but I have no devices or emulators for tests.